Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Poem About Grad School and Technology


Twelve straight hours of making maps and graphs
     makes me crazy
     makes me everything blurry
     makes me question why improved technology is such a freaking great thing.

All the time spent tracking down info on the web
     gets me distracted
     gets at my confidence
     gets me agitated that there's so much stuff I could never search it all.

Pointing and clicking around in PowerPoint/Excel/Word
     makes me hunch
     makes my world seem smaller
     makes me feel like a monkey with a mouse that gets no reward for clicking the right
          button.

Hours spent searching for web tutorials on Arc/Access/SigmaPlot
     gets me excited
     gets me confused later
     gets me concerned that the same post can lift my hopes and dash my spirits.

Being in grad school for years on end
     has made me cry (often)
     has made me feel successful (less often)
     has made me so nerdy and excited about science all that other stuff is worth it (most
        of the time).

No comments: