Sunday, October 11, 2009

Why Causey is Great and Cutler is...Less Great.

One of the tragedies of my life is how little I did outdoors this summer. I did a ton of walking, because it helps me focus, but not a lot of really active stuff. In fact, my kayak stayed dry until September. However, I did take it out on Labor Day for a quick paddle with Dad and the Little Girlies. Causey is one of my favorite places (but don't tell anyone about it, its usually pretty quiet). As much as I generally dislike reservoirs, this one is really in the tops of the mountains, so it offers some really spectacular views from the position of the kayak. Every time I'm there I think about how it's like playing in the tops of the mountains. Anyways, here's some photos from that moment.
We found an awesome little cave exposed by the drought. From here we jumped into the water, but Dad has all those pictures. Causey is very cold, I was very glad to have my life jacket on.
We kayaked back to my favorite beach ever.
This area is pretty prime camping. I love it very much. However, the last time I was camping there I was reading "The Hobbit" and ended up freaking out that there were evil deer and the people from Heaven's Gate in the canyon behind us. I recommend never reading anything by J.R.R. Tolkien while camping.

A few days after my successful tour of the Great Salt Lake, I decided I should kayak Cutler Reservoir. I've paddled around the southern end of the res, but there isn't much to see there. The Tuesday I chose to kayak was the Tuesday the weather decided to turn nasty, so I paddled out to the old railroad bridge, heard the wind whistling across the Valley, and turned back. As I approached the bridge I needed to paddle under I kind of freaked out. The wind was blowing pretty hard, and I would be exposed there, and I have issues with kayaking in the wind.
The whole time I was paddling frantically back my brain was announcing "Abort. Abort. Abort." In the voice of the guy from the first Austin Powers movie. That, in addition to my losing fight with the wind, made me feel ridiculous. I ended up beaching the Rhombus just below the bridge and driving my truck back to it. But I got some fun pics of the surrounding land. I've been trying to capture some agricultural pictures, but haven't really gotten what I want.
I like all the different colors adjacent fields can bet, that's what I was trying to get here.
I did get a shot of this awesome grass.
And Gus looking tough.

Despite having to flee, I marked the trip a success because the Rhombus got wet for the 2nd time that month.

No comments: