Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

It's official. I'm tired of all of this rain. I realize that it's good for our water supply and lawns in general, but it's June, it should be sunny and hot. If everything was as it should be I would currently be ranting about how I wish it would cool off just a bit. But no, it just keeps raining, and currently my apartment is at a chilly 60 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just not right, I have to sleep with my sleeping bag on my bed. It used to be just a silly thing I've done since I was young, now it's necessary because I thought it would be okay to put my space heater away after labor day.
To make things worse, there are brief, tantalyzing moments of sun, I took this picture just the other day, when it was warm enough to wear a tank top.
Don't I look lucky, happy, and free (the lyrics of a Bright Eyes song, I recommend everyone go look it up immediately). Now I'm wearing a sweater and a coat. Ridiculous!!! I've not heard much about El Nino this year, so I'm blaming this on global warming. There are a few bright spots around though. There's a nifty tree outside my front door with red leaves and when the sun shines through it, it makes rose colored light shine into my living room. While I'm not quite an optimist, I still enjoy the symbolism.

I also got to spend time with my friends and family this weekend. Saturday night I went up to Bear Lake to celebrate my friends graduation. It was rainy, but after the sun went down the rain stopped. Whatever the weather, I enjoy Rendezvous Beach. I hate the drive through the summer homes, my inner-hippie objects to situating such generic homes in the middle of such a beautiful landscape. Why make an effort to situate your summer home somewhere scenic and then isolate yourself from it so much? Ah well, the lake itself is gorgeous, and rising a bit with all this rain. And it's such a unique feature. Some fun facts about Bear Lake, which rumor has it is sometimes called the Caribbean of the Rockies (I flew over the Caribbean once, and it was awesome):
  • it lies at an elevation of 5,923 feet above sea level and it 20 miles long and 8 miles wide
  • the first white resident near the lake was Thomas Pegleg Smith, a crusty one-legged mountain man
  • the turquoise color of the water is caused by the reflection of limestone deposits suspended in the water; this unique feature has also led to the production of a trophy cutthroat trout fishery and the evolution of several endemic fish species
  • a guy named Joseph C. Rich started the story about the Bear Lake monster, then he admitted that he made it up, the story persists today (by the time I heard about it the story tellers said that there was an underground passage way that connected Bear Lake the Loch Ness)
While it was chilly, we did have some fun times, and next month I get to go down with my family for a few days, which should be awesome!
Me and my Nessa, 'chillin' in at the lake

2 comments:

LM said...

It was good to see you on Monday and have a bit of lunch, I know you made your mom happy by visiting too! Good to hear that you are as miserable as me with all of the rain! I think that it is Bri's fault because she is still in school and mother nature doesn't want her to feel bad because she can't play with her cousins outside in their pool!

Marf said...

This weather sucks! It hasn't actually been warm enough for me to swim in the pool since we set it up! Dad is a crazy man who would swim even if he had to break through ice to do it, but not me, nuh uh. I don't like having to wear a jacket in june! If it makes you feel any better, I love you.