Monday, June 23, 2008

Park City Shenanigans


Last week I got to go to Park City for a NEPA short course. The course itself was wickedly boring (however, according to some classmates, watching me struggle/fail to stay awake was quite entertaining). Anyways, one of my classmates suggesting camping while we were there because it would be so expensive to drive back and forth for three days. I'm super excited I did camp, because I got a new tent out of the deal (and a new sleeping bag, my dad is pretty generous).

I also got to see most of Park City, which I'd never really been interested in viewing. Seeing the gorgeous views and insanely expensive homes brought out the hippie in me again, why should these wonderful viewsheds be affordable only to the rich? I also find it quite a conundrum that the outlet malls should be located at the north end of such a display of disposable income. Wednesday night Adrian and I wandered around historic main street (we tried to go to a free concert, but couldn't locate the amphitheater). I think its a shame there isn't more randomly located art in other towns (specifically Clinton), because it sure is fun to pose with silly statues.

Thursday night we went to the Olympic Park for some zip line shenanigans. We ordered tickets for the Xtreme Zipline, but ended up taking the Ultra Zipline (someone please tell me the quantitative difference between extreme and ultra). It was a bummer until the annoyed ticket booth guy just printed us tickets for the zip line again. That's right, two zipline experiences for the price of one! Then we wandered around the park free from supervision. First we ran around the bobsled track,

then we checked out the huge ski jumps. Turns out the green stuff on the track is the plastic coating that is found around speaker wire (as near as I can tell), and there's a staircase down the entire length of the jump, should you want to walk rather than ski down it (not for those with weak calves, mine were shaking by the bottom). It was really cool to be able to touch and jump and play on all the stuff there. And I now know that as good as I am at the Wii ski jump, I don't have the guts to actually do the jump.

I also got some shopping in, not as fun without the rest of my outlet mall shopping posse, but still a good opportunity to drop some dough on Kimbal Junction.

1 comment:

Lovely Lizzy said...

I want to go outlet shopping. No babies will get in the way this year. She was worth it. Plus I went to IKEA. Super fun too.
I'm totally going to practice the ski jump so you guys can't make fun of me. I think I have good balance, and if it's off, I think I'll blame that on babies too. They ruin bodies. Specifically backs. But if you ask Scott I'm way balanced. I slipped on ice like 9 months pregnant and didn't fall. It's looked like Goofy fishing, but Scott was amazed. (Mom made him walk me home, hehe). I've been meaning to text you too. Will you bring the Glamour on the 30th? I figure why buy it when I know you'll throw yours away.