Thursday, July 3, 2008

311!!!!



On Monday Scott and I went to see 311, and it was amazing. I've seen them 7 times now, and it never gets old; however, this was Scott's first show. Getting there totally sucked, I don't know my way around the interchanges, so I spent at least 20 more minutes in traffic than I needed to, and I've got to say there West Valley has very little to offer, I think it should disappear (except for USANA, which is a pretty rockin' concert venue).

Every year 311 finds some spectacular band to open up for them (i.e. Matisyahu, Pepper, Unwritten Law, G Love and Special Sauce, Something Corporate), and this year was no exception, Snoop Dogg was the opening act. I'm not a super duper rap fan, but I was still psyched to see him. It was like a big sing-a-long, and he taught us some moves, and said we sounded "hood." Scott and I tried several times to take a picture of us looking "hood" but mostly we just looked silly, it was still fun though.

Then 311 came on. Oh my goodness, it doesn't get any better than watching them perform. I've waxed sentimental about it several times, but really, 311 are (is?) my heroes. Here are some of the reasons:
  • They've aged so well, they're in their 30's as still rocking strong, I'd like to age like that. In all the years I've seen them they haven't slowed down one bit, I don't know where the energy comes from, but I want it.
  • They get better with time, when I was 13 I bought their 'Sound System' album and was sure it couldn't get better than that, but it has. Every album is as good or better than the previous one. That kind of progress is what everyone should aim for.
  • They have a day. I've always wanted to see 311 perform on 311 day (March 11), but until I can make the trip to New Orleans I have to settle for a day of listening to good music and reminiscing about their awesomeness.
  • Their music marks milestones in my life. The first time I saw the video of "Beautiful Disaster" I knew I wanted to go to concerts. Buying "Sound System" marked the point my music collection officially started becoming respectable. Their album "Evolver" came out when I was having a more mellow phase, while my purchase of "Grassroots" coincided with a more experimental and adventurous phase of my life. They seem to produce what's best when I need them.
So there's a little bit of quackery for you, but I can't hide it, I love 311. I'm very proud that I've passed on the 311 love to some of my siblings, and the rest of my family can at least put in a good "311" shout.
I also must note that Nick Hexum, the lead singer, is the love of my life. He's beautiful and talented, and I totally touched his shoulder 6 years ago at a concert.

Ah, memories.
(This is probably the best part of the show, and it goes down every year).
(It was supposed to look like 311)

No comments: