Saturday, August 30, 2008

There Can Only Be One Highlander!















Alright, so this isn't about Highlander (a show/movie (?) I've never seen). It's about the last week or so. First off, last Tuesday I got pulled over (August seems to be the month for that), and received my first traffic warning. Fun fact, there is a $55 fine (that I did not receive) for having the wrong address on your driver's license. Anyways, I got pulled over by a really nice officer, and was pretty happy about the experience.

Then last Saturday me, Scott and Dad (and Dad's co-worker Austin) hiked Mt. Timpanogos. It was glorious. At 11,700 and something feet, the views were amazing. I was totally psyched to see all the evidence of glaciers at work, and at the same time I was sad that I didn't know more about geology and glaciation. One of the best parts of the hike was sliding down the glacier on the backside of the mountain...on my backside (hahahaha). My bum was mighty cold afterward, but it was totally cool. And, now I've touched a glacier, I was moderately concerned that I wouldn't be able to touch one before global warming took them all away. All in all, we were on the mountain for 10 hours. But it was awesome.

Monday I had an unfortunate doctor's appointment. But then I came home and got to have lunch with Mom and Liz, and I got to have a dance party with Tyler and Aaliyah. (Look at that happy boy, does it get any happier than that?)

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty stressful, but by Thursday I gave up on getting hold of my major professor and just decided to go with the flow, as much as I could. I was even moderately social. Friday I went to the ENVS (my department at school) Last Friday social at the Owl. There was some food and good conversation. Then I spent the night watching "Psyche", which makes me laugh like I've rarely laughed before. Among my favorite Psyche lines are:


  • Don't be a giant snapping turtle.
  • Don't be a rapid porcupine.
  • Real men take bubble baths.
And while I'm on the subject of good quotes, I saw "Pineapple Express" with Scott (my BFFF) a few weeks ago, and it was full of wonderful little bits of advice including
  • Safety first. Then teamwork.
I'm certainly not good at doling out advice myself, but I have a Post-It note wall full of some of my favorite quotes I'd like to share, because I think they're wonderful.
  • Do you want to be the big spoon or the little spoon? That's the question. --Dr. Cox
  • A revolution without a dance isn't really a revolution. --V for Vendetta
  • Let's treat people more like they're in our home than in our way. --Allstate
  • Naming is not explaining. --I don't know who said it, but it's totally true
  • You don't think yourself out of a problem with the same thought process that you thought yourself into it with. --a rural sociologist somewhere
  • Do you know what people are? People are bastards. Bastard filled bastards with bastard frosting. --Dr. Cox
  • It's the one's with the sorest throats that have done the most singing. --Bright Eyes
  • Let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches- that is the right and privilege of any free American. --Edward Abbey
  • You're awful. I love you. --Ludo
  • Everyone should have a secret evil plan. --Dennis Leary
  • Love is a battlefield. --Pat Benetar
  • Come to me, cuddle me, hold me. Together we'll break these chains of love. --Erasure
  • You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. --Collette
Anyways, I have other stuff to talk about (mostly political- Lizzy, I loved the blog) (also, a much needed warning about mink), but I'll save that for later. Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

Lovely Lizzy said...

I've always loved the fact that you collect quotes. I secretly covet the book that you compiled through jr. high and high school. I also love your fetish with post-it notes. I have lots of them with good words from you all over.
And, I'm so excited you'll be here tomorrow. Yeah. I have a great gift suggestion to if you haven't bought one yet. It goes hand in hand with mine and Neils.
Can't wait though.

Marf said...

I do have a secret evil plan...but it's a secret. The world will know when my plan is complete...heh heh

This is more a poem than a quote, but it's one of my favs:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air...

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark or even eagle flew --

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I don't know why, but it reminds me of my mom. I felt that being released from the body that held her hostage must have felt a bit like this poem