Friday, September 19, 2008

September Shenanigans

Well, I've officially started my thesis research, hooray for me! I knew I was meeting with a guy today who had a background in qualitative research and who worked a bit with wetlands, but completely misunderstood why I was meeting with him. Turns out, it was a practice interview, and based on the feedback I got it seems I did pretty well. So, I may get this thesis thing done after all, boo ya! Another happy note from today, the guy I interviewed said that a lot of natural resource employers are looking for people with the natural science and human dimensions background that I have, super. To make it better he said that my plan to move to Hawaii for a while was good idea because employers also want someone interesting working for them. Which I took to mean that going to Hawaii would make me more interesting, which means I must go because I have a deep fear of becoming boring. Anyways, that was my mildly stressful, but ultimately productive afternoon.

On to other things. I've been going through my cell phone lately, perusing pictures because its not like anyone ever calls me (boo hoo), and I've found some more photos I feel I must share.
First off, I see this sign when I go walking most everyday. I think it's excessive. Remember the song by Five Man Electrical Band called "Signs"? If not, here's a bit of the chorus: Sign Sign everywhere a sign Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign.
I bet they hate hippies. Jerks. Really? No standing, what the heck?

Speaking of my walks, one night I came home and looked at my shoe and found a hitchhiker. This tiny slug had attached itself to my shoe, it was really cute, but I didn't know what to do with it. Sadly, but the morning it had dried up and died. But it made me happy that night. Another night I came home to a less happy bug confrontation. I found this guy in my bathtub. I tried using my toothbrush as a standard to measure it against, but I don't think it shoes the full intensity of this bathtub spider. Seriously, take a look at it, you can see its eye stalks! That's a huge spider, and the only reason I know about it is because it got stranded in my tub, what if there are other ones? What if they're radioactive and bite me? What if there's radioactivity in my apartment and I get cancer? It's all very scary.
I tried adding a scale to another camera phone picture later, and it might have been more effective. This is a baby painted turtle at the zoo, can you see how small and awesome it is? Really, its a whole turtle that's only a little bit thicker than my finger. How cool is that?
Turns out, not everything at the zoo is that cute. While cleaning one of the buildings I saw something huge crawl across the floor. Freaked out and intrigued I went over to see what it was, and it was a giant spider. Seeing as it was unafraid of me and there was a tape measure nearby I decided to measure it. It was two inches long! That's freaking insane! Unfortunately, in my efforts to document the visitor I forgot to squish it, so its still at the zoo, I hope it doesn't bite anyone, or reproduce, that would be bad.

It's also been an interesting month for sign reading. Coming back from my doctors appointment I was behind this SUV with this elaborate window sticker that went across the back and the sides. Ridiculous! Who thinks oil rigs are beautiful? Not me. In the middle it says "gotoil.com" I refuse to go to the site right now because I'm afraid it would make me angry, and I've got enough to be riled up about right now. I hope the guy driving it had investments with Lehman Brothers. And I hate his blue tooth.

While in the bathroom later that week I happened to take a closer look and the tampon/pad vending machine and finally learned what matrons do, apparently they restock the feminine hygiene product dispenser. The world makes sense again.
One last sign, then I'm done. While out on my walk I noticed this sign on the port-a-potties outside the football stadium. It's silly, but poo humor makes me giggle.

Hope everyone's week is going well, and that you've got something to look forward to this weekend (if you've got nothing to look forward to, remember that Heroes starts on Monday, and that Heroes is amazing!).

1 comment:

Lovely Lizzy said...

I like your funny signs. Neil's tied up in a book, but I had to read them all too him.
The spiders are icky. Perhaps you brought one home with you since they looked like twins. That would be scary. Maybe you should decontaminate before you come home. Do you still have icky spider catchers in you closet? Hope so.
Oh and since you're not visiting us this weekend we have NOTHING to look forward to. Just kidding. I'll find something, like banana bread or a new carseat. It's here, it just needs installed. Anyway, we will be sad you are not coming home.
Oh and since the Hawaii thing is becoming very serious I'm going to start looking for tickets :) The other day they had round trip for $400 out of Phoenix. I was hoping Neil would jump on that. Is Hero's online? Oh and the tvguide.com has this great place where you can type in the show you want to watch and they'll tell you where to go to watch episodes if it is possible. You should try that.