Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Quick Brag

Warning: here comes a bit of bragging, I've been looking for something to be excited about this week, and here it is!

I've been having a bit of a loser week. I've got plenty to do, but no impending deadlines, so I've not done much. Today I had to reply to my advisor's email, asking if I'd heard anything back about this conference I submitted an abstract for. She emailed me about it yesterday, but I hadn't gotten anything done, and didn't really feel like admitting that I hadn't heard anything, because it felt like failure. Anyways, I emailed back this morning that I hadn't heard anything, then three hours later I heard back from the Ecological Society of America that my poster had been accepted! I'm really excited for another opportunity to present my research, and the whole conference sounds exciting to hear, its called "Water, Ecosystem Services, Drought and Environmental Justice." Those are four topics I love, and now I get to attend a conference covering them all! Yeah me!

Things like this help me push on in my research because it makes me believe someone else thinks the things I'm studying are interesting. I've been pretty lucky in receiving a bump like this every week, usually in the form of a good interview with someone who is both passionate about the resource they're protecting and interested in talking with me.

Anyways, sorry for the geek-out, I'm just excited. The only down-side is that this conference is scheduled during the last few days I can schedule to defend my thesis and still walk in the graduation. So, it seems I won't be putting my defense off until the last day possible because I'll be in Athens, Georgia. Boo ya!

1 comment:

Marf said...

double Boo Ya! When you are feeling low, you should always call me, I always think you are wonderful! I'm glad more people in this world agree with me. Congrats!