Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lessons I've Learned in 2009

After much adventuring, much moving, and much living, I've decided to put together a list of the things I've learned in 2009. Having so much fun and so many misadventures would be pointless if I didn't learn anything from them. So here goes:

  1. Don't drive thousands of miles in a shaky truck; also, trucks are not snowmobiles.
  2. Avoid Cheyenne, Wyoming at all costs.
  3. Sleeping at Rest Areas isn't so scary, but Best Western Hotel parking lots are the best places to rest if you need to sleep in your vehicle.
  4. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, hug a tree.
  5. Rock climbing is amazing.
  6. Lightning is the most frightening thing in the world. No exaggeration.
  7. The stegosaurus is the best dinosaur ever. Ever.
  8. Singing, clapping and whooping are effective means of repelling mountain lions.
  9. Ditching a day of aimless web browsing for a quick day trip to somewhere else will always be fantastic.
  10. Always be friends with people who use the word 'epic.' They are always cool.

To accompany this, I used Google Earth, my new favorite program, to
compile a picture of all the places I've been. I have a strictly Intermountain West view, and a National View. I'm quite impressed. All in all, I put my feet down in 7 states this year. I didn't make it to another country, but I'm still satisfied with my wanderings.


2 comments:

Ellis Wyatt said...

all those states and you couldn't even find me in Montana! I'm so sad!

Becka said...

I feel like by the time I got to Montana you weren't there anymore. And I only visited a corner of MT, not your corner. It's a tragedy, but we'll adventure together soon, I hope.