Tuesday, January 1, 2013

12 for 2012

It's my list of the highest points in 2012!  In no particular order.
1.  Ancient Art, Fisher Towers (a literal high point).  When we got up there I couldn't do anything but smile and talk about how awesome it was that we got the opportunity to be up there.  



Other notable summits include Three Gossips, Moonlight Buttress, Middle Bell Tower.  


2.  Miles 25 and 26 of the Top of Utah Marathon.  I felt great, I knew my mom was waiting for me, and I was able to run with a smile.  It was almost enough to forget miles 13 - 24.


3.  Marsh Llama.  I saw this guy on the last day of my field work, while I was toodling around waiting for Brent to get back from Houston.  Altogether, a sublime moment.


4.  Trad climbing leads.  I was trying something new, and it was lots of fun.  And I got to do it all with my favorite climbing friends.  


5.  Chilling in the hammock.   No where to go, just relaxing.  What a great place to be.  Especially great in the desert.




6.  I got a new bike that helps me get up and down hills faster.  I can keep up with my friends too.  




7.   Maryland + Scallops.  I got to spend a week doing field work with one of my friends in a completely new area.  Estuarine wetlands are pretty rad, but I think discovering how delicious scallops are overshadowed everything else.



8.  Spicy Thai peppers.  I had a lot of fun with my garden, but by September it was producing more zucchini than anything else.  Then my peppers finally came in, and they were spicy and delicious.  Totally worth the trouble.



9.  Skiing.  I bought a ski pass this year and rediscovered how great it is to ski, especially by myself on fresh snow.

10.  Kayaking in for my field work.  There's just something great about being on the water, I can take my time, I don't get stuck in the mud.  I just love it.



11.  Turned in a manuscript for review from my thesis research.  It's been a long time coming, but the process of writing it all up has gotten me excited about that research again.  And now it will stop haunting my to-do lists and free weekends.


12.  Digging soil pits.  It's science, which I like.  And it's muddy, which I love.  Muddy, stinky, and fascinating.  I love wetland soils!


No comments: