Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chromosomally Enhanced

I've been beaming today.  It's my way of celebrating World Down Syndrome Day.  I've been thinking extra about my nephew, Tyler,who has Down Syndrome, and this just makes me beam.  It also makes me a little misty eyed.  From the moment Tyler came into this world, six years ago, he made it a brighter place.  Tyler has an extra copy of his 21st chromosome, along with the standard Down's symptoms, this extra bit of genetic material has given him an extra, heaping dose of awesome.  Perhaps also an extra dose of empathy, Tyler always knows when I need a hug.  I feel blessed to have such a wonderful nephew.  I also feel very optimistic about Tyler's future.  Attitudes about developmental delays have changed so much in the last few decades, even the way we talk about delays has changed.  There are a number of organizations that seek to give Down's kids and others with development differences a chance to live a normal life.  And Tyler has a great family, parents and siblings, that celebrate his different-ness.

 Oh, I'm just so happy to have a Tyler.  Here's a few pictures to illustrate why it's so great to know Tyler.

Just look at that smile.  It's so great.  

Adorable.  

Wonderful curiosity, and sister.  

That sister sure loves him (thanks to Liz for sending pictures, they make my day).  

Tyler is always great to celebrate the holidays with.  

A little too mischievous to go shopping with (thanks again, Liz).  


So much fun to visit new places with, like the zoo.  

Such fun to play with.  

He's really got a great mom, who loves him so much.  

Every time he visits me, that smiles warms up all of Logan.
  
He's got sweet dance moves.  And looks great in a suit.  

Did I mention he's fun to visit the zoo with?

I'll finish this very sappy post with a mention that I love my niece and 2nd nephew just as much.  Really, being an aunt is the best thing ever.  I'm sure glad I've got a sister like Liz, who's let her kids enrich my life like they have.  

2 comments:

Lovely Lizzy said...

I love that you said differentness because that's what I say too. I am careful with the word special because all 3 of my babies are special to me. He had a super day. Oh and Aaliyah who is next to me says "I love you too." I've lost Coby somewhere can he come live with you? He came up with the "big lick" all by himself and I rarely get nice kisses any more. Today he combed Neil's hair for him, complete with a lick. Gross.

Becka said...

I too, prefer different to special. Glad Tyler had a super day. Hope you found Coby, what a trouble-maker. Love you, Aaliyah!