Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Very First Adventure - Spring Break 2008 - The Successful Part

The other day while I was trying to work up the courage to actually do work, I tried a little writing.  I heard one day about a technique to fix writer's block that involves starting with "I remember" and writing from there.  Here's what I wrote about my trip to Zion National Park in 2008, my very first vacation all by myself. 

I remember the fear, exhilaration  and relaxation I felt when I went on my first solitary vacation. I was afraid of the unknown, no one I knew went on vacation by themselves.  Would I have an accident hiking alone?  Would I be safe camping without company?  Would I be able to do anything without friends to motivate me and make things happen?  Ultimately the desire to make things happen in my life, the overwhelming fear of a boring existance, and the curiosity about southern Utah won, and I left.  It was exhilarating   I was doing something none of my friends and family had done.  I was changing my life for the better.  And, OHMYGOD! Zion National Park was gorgeous!  I hiked to Angel's Landing by myself and marveled (literally) at how beautiful sandstone is, how peaceful the Virgin River was at that time, how magnificent the view was, how long it had taken the landscape to erode, the power of water, the beauty of the safety chains....

I think that's enough of a description of the successful part of my trip.  

Here I am with Gus before I left my parent's house.  He's full of stuff, including a bike and kayak.  I am full of many feelings, listed above.  

Five hours later, I was in the park, practicing taking pictures of myself with a timer and tripod.  I still always do the tree pose if there is any tree around.  

I sure did lock my keys in the car 300 miles from home.  But the beauty of Gus (the most wonderful truck ever) is in the broken rear window, which could be easily pried open.  

Hiking Angel's Landing is something everyone should do once.  It was so scary, there was slush in the shadowy parts and no one to catch me if I slipped.  But the view at the top is so worthwhile.  

Really, it's a great view.  Have I mentioned how much I love sandstone?

More of the views.  

Remember that thing I said about the beauty of the safety chain.  I meant it.  

Yes.  It's true.  I love sandstone.  And I discovered this love here.  

I also love desert plants.  They're the bad-ass-est of the bad-ass plants. Capable of growing and reproducing with minimal water.  And they're pointy.  Cool!

Also discovered my love of taking my own picture.  An arabesque in front the Virgin River.  Because I can.  

I also hiked around the Watchman area.  I don't know if it was the significant number of cliffs in the area, or the fact that I was by myself, but I felt like a spy.  

Because I can.  

And because I love sandstone.  

Lots of cliffs.  Cliffs you can peer over and enjoy.  Oh.  How I love the desert.  

I spent 1.5 days hiking around Zion, then left to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.  I sure felt like spending my entire vacation at Zion, but this was early in my adventuring career and I didn't know it was better to make itineraries more theoretical than realistic.  The following post is a story about disaster.  

No comments: