Monday, December 8, 2008

Hi, My Name is Becka and I'm a Slacker


(I thought I'd start this out with an unusually cheery picture, I feel the exact opposite of that, there's no rainbows in my world right now, or trees. Just cubicle walls and my stinking laptop). So I'm in the middle of writing a final paper, and I'm dragging ass. I want to do so many other things. Namely:
  • blog
  • hike
  • sleep
  • do dishes
  • finish the stupid vampire book
  • make cheesecake
  • run a 5k
  • make a snowman
  • dance
  • update my iPod
  • watch my current Netflix offer
  • pay bills
  • drive somewhere more than 4 hours away
  • dance more
  • eat peaches
  • go kayaking
  • pluck my eyebrows
  • buy socks
  • do laundry
  • buy underwear
  • organize my closet
  • make a snow angel
As you can see, there is so much more I could make of this day. Alas, I'm here at school, resigned to finishing this paper before 2 a.m. I will break for food, maybe a run, but not for much fun. Boo. Also, the food I will break for isn't even good, I've officially gotten over microwave burritos. They don't taste like much of anything. I just ate a cheese and bean burrito, but I couldn't taste the cheese. I have cheese at home, but I'm at school. I have a package of Saltines here, I hope I don't ever get over Saltines. I'd really like some Texas Toast, but I don't have anymore. I'll be consuming quite a bit of Mountain Dew in hopes it will keep me concentrating (I'll at least be awake because I'm drinking it fast enough I have to pee every half hour). I'm kind of over Mt. Dew too, I suppose I'll have to move on to something like crack. Eh.

I've been trying to remember brighter days while I'm stuck in my office space. Friday instead of writing I surfed the internet and found this video I really liked. The Daily Show usually manages to get it right, its a little vulgar, in an edited way. But I love it (I figure anyone who can figure out how to incorporate the term "Industrial Strength Douche Bag" into a discussion of terrorism deserves props). I haven't been able to post the actual video because of some HTML script mystery that I can't figure out, so follow this link, it's 3 minutes of your life that will be well spent.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=210920&title=mumbai-tragedy

Also, check out this article called "Why They Hate Mumbai."

And this article on Cyberchondria

Eh. My 15 minutes of freedom are up. Back to work. Someone should shed tears for me, because I can't, full on apathy has set in.

I almost forgot, I do have some good news. I came up with a temporary title for my paper: Fear and Loathing in Swamps and Muskegs. Also, I currently have 5 pages typed (plus my title page and bibliography) that I have yet to double space. Double spacing is my favorite part, I save it until the end because it makes it doubles the amount of work I've just done (sort of, it makes me happy. Don't judge me.).

----------------
Now playing: Damien Rice - Cold Water
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Marf said...

Other than the occasional random text I feared you had fallen off the planet. Glad you took a moment to blog. Sorry life sucks, hopefully it's only temporary. Light at the end of the tunnel and all. Smile and look forward to visiting, I have a giant Sam's club box of Texas toast. I also have some Tofu that I am determined to make into a tasty treat for you.
Oh, and shame on you and Liz for having a secret and not telling me. You can save your "surprised" face for another time, I am on to you.
I am going to go make Great Harvest cookies and homemade bread, I am hoping this will bring a little joy and sunshine into my dismal life. At least the "wedding rush" is over, now I can finish decorating for Christmas and maybe make a dent in the housecleaning.
Love ya, have a brighter tomorrow. Mommy

Lovely Lizzy said...

I kind of had feared you fell of the earth too. I was going to text just HI a little while ago, but being the slacker I am, I put my kids to bed.
It is nice to see you blogged. I'm thinking you need an intervention. It doesn't seem like we'll have to drag you kicking and screaming out of your cube though.
I'm like you with the paper thing to. I write all I can and then double space. It's especially exciting when you have twenty page papers to write.
Good luck.