Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Itch

Currently it is 41.0 degrees Fahrenheit in Logan, its supposed to reach a low of 21 tonight, and there is no snow. This is just unacceptable. I want out. I know I signed up for these grad school shenanigans, but right about now it feels like they're holding me down. Right now grad school feels much less like an adventure and more like a slog (nay, a mire, I'm mired in this Great Dismal Swamp of a program (this is funny to me, it could be funny to you if you'd read the paper I finished the other day, but I really wouldn't recommend it)). I'm feeling the itch to head for warmer climes. If there were some skiing to be had I might feel better (especially because I now have boots and skis). Anyways, in place of a great southern migration, I've decided to find myself a pair of snowshoes and adventure out that way. I figure it'll be a good replacement for hiking (once there's enough snow to make it happen), and much cheaper than skiing. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been thinking a great deal about going somewhere. I wish I had friends spread out a little farther, I think visiting them would be a good opportunity to head out of the valley. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to going somewhere for spring break this year, here are my current options (click on the green text and they'll send you to websites that show some of the potential coolness I could discover in my explorations).

Option 1: Head North
I'm thinking of trying out the Northwest for spring break. It'll probably be March-type cold, but more rainy than snowy. The highlight of this trip would be Olympic National Park.
Why go to the Olympic Peninsula? Well, according to the Park Service:
Here you will find Pacific Ocean beaches, rain forest valleys, glacier-capped peaks and a stunning variety of plants and animals. Roads provide access to the outer edges of the park, but the heart of Olympic is wilderness; a primeval sanctuary for humans and wild creatures alike.
Awesome. But mostly, its a temperate rain forest. I've wanted to run around in the rain forest since I saw "Ferngully" (which is now on DVD, awesome). There was some jungle to be seen near Cancun, but it was all fenced off when I was there (boo). I realize that there probably won't be fairies like in the movie, but there are a ton of other things to see (things that are cooler than fairies, which can't actually be seen). Also, 95% of the park is designated as wilderness. That's an opportunity to get good and lost, if ever I heard one. I figure a few days of soggy backpacking would do me some good. Plus there are 73 miles of coastline within the park, full of sandy peaches, tidal pools and cliffs. I'd like to see a starfish or sea anemone. That would be awesome.

Other wildlife viewing options include orcas, sea lions, dolphins and whales (a lot of the area around it was designated as the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary). Further inland I could see black bears, cougars, bobcats, and elk (in addition to a whole number of endemic rodents, and pigs). Plus there are about 300 species of birds that have been spotted in the park.
There's also the opportunity to see Seattle, a town that sounds fairly interesting to me. There I could ride a ferry. I dig ferries. And the Columbia River, I like to see what's left of that.
(There's also a dork option Liz could like: Forks, WA is located on the Olympic Peninsula, its a real town).

Option 2: Head South
This option is a little more vague, as there is a ton to see down there. Almost any time I bring up the southern Utah/northern Arizona option someone gives me another recommendation for places I could try to see. Among the stops I could see are:
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
The Hayduke Trail (just a portion)
Buckskin Gulch
Grand Canyon National Park
Arches National Park

This option's main appeal is that I know there are a ton of places I could opt to spend my days, and it will likely be dry. I went that direction last year, and there is a lot I wish I had time to see. The environment is quite opposite of option 1, it'll all be desert. So here's the dilemma: go through the familiar, yet exhilarating desert or the new and exciting old growth forest. Hmm.

Well, its been exciting to think about getting out of town. Hopefully I'll make it through.

----------------
Now playing: 311 - Nix Hex
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Marf said...

If you plan ahead I can take some time off so you don't have to go alone. I would really like to go to Washington, that sounds fantastic. Maybe up into Canada for some foreign adventuring while we are at it! I really don't want to meet any vampires though, so Forks isn't a big priority for me...and I'm one of the handful of people who read all the books but didn't enjoy them.

LM said...

I can't help you pick for your adventures because I think both places would be equally fun. One of my good friends lives in Olympia and it is beautiful there, although when I visited we did not make it to the National Park, so I bet it is even more amazing since it has been designated as a park. I also have had fun every time I go to Southern Utah, we love Arches and have a great time in Moab whenever we go there. There is a canyon very close to Moab that has petroglyphs right along the road, it is fun to drive along and see them all. (Also a place where you can see dinosaur footprints). Good luck with all you are doing, and have fun planning out your spring break vacation!