Monday, March 2, 2009

Becka's Cell Phone Adventures Pt 2

Not a lot of adventuring for me lately. However, I do have quite the collection of cell phone picture odds and ends, so I thought I'd share them. The alternate title for this blog was going to be "Hi, my name is Becka and I'm a weirdo." I sometimes think my geekiness is going too far, that I get too excited by too many geeky little things (so excited I must take a picture to document and share the awesomeness). But then I remember that being easily entertained is much better than being bored all the time. Then I also remember that I'm awesome and everything is ok again. Anyways, I've tried to break up said awesomess into categories, so enjoy this quick collection of this I've found interesting in the last few months.

Zoo Adventures:
First up, I was recently gored in the face by an elk. The bull elk at the zoo doesn't like me. According to my boss there are some people who the elk dislikes more than others, and I would be one of them. I was feeding the elk a few weeks ago, bent over shoveling oats and alfalfa pellets through the fence when the bull's antlers came through the fence and got me the face. It hurt a little, but mostly it was just shocking. Here's what an elk looks like when its trying to gore you in the face.

On a cuter note, this is a juvenile painted turtle. It's a little bigger now, but not by much (my finger is there for a scale). Cute, right?

I Read Too Much
I read the stuff around me. Signs, papers, titles of books I'm not going to read. Then I take pictures, because I love to laugh. Look at this gem. It took me quite some time to decipher, but it says "wallaby vaccinate." What a jewel.

I've spent a lot of time in the library lately. One of the books I checked out was co-authored by someone with the best name ever, check out the second author here, I think I will name a pet Waneen.

I found this sign on one of my walks. I don't really know why they have it there. I stopped and took a picture and didn't receive a citation. Some people.

Another day while toodling through the library I found the best book title ever: "The Toothpaste of Immortality." It was so wonderful I had to take a picture of it and send it to others. I have no idea what its about, but its in with the books about self and identity.

Errant Adventuring:
Its been many months now, but I found this chunk of something in my mixed vegetables. People keep telling me it was probably part of a corn cob, but I don't believe it. Corn cobs are made out of cellulose, like the rest of the corn stock. This was made out of something harder and more insidious. Its been quite some time now, and I haven't died, so I suppose its not that bad.

In January I went to one of the best concerts ever: O.A.R. The picture isn't that great, but you all should know that it changed my life. Oh, O.A.R., they are truly wonderful. That show ranks up there with 311 and Unwritten Law and one of the best shows you will ever see. I got home feeling like my life was complete.

Traffic Type Adventuring:
On a lame adventure note, I got stuck in traffic in July, and seeing this picture still brings back a little bit of stress. I was stuck on the freeway for 3 hours without air conditioning because this tank fell off a truck and blocked 3 lanes of traffic (in my mind its a mini-van's fault). Then they brought the cranes in to remove it so there was only one lane left. I did make friends with a guy in a Tacoma that drove without shoes on and made faces every time we passed each other. It was moderately entertaining.

On a more positive traffic note, a few months ago, just as gas prices were going down, I got really excited that gas was down to $3.11. If only my trip to Colorado had occurred a few weeks after that I could have been really excited for gas below $2. But still, $3.11 for gas is a sort of awesome price, but only because 311 is really awesome.

Bug Adventures:
The next few pictures made me realize I'm kind of a weirdo. I stumble upon bugs from time to time, and apparently I am compelled to document them more often than I realize. Here is the biggest spider I have ever seen. I was sweeping a room at the zoo when I thought I saw something blow across the floor. It was odd because there wasn't a breeze, so I investigated and saw this guy. I was able to measure it with the measuring tape because it just wouldn't move (and it was 2 inches! Holy cow!). Then I forgot about it, and it ran away.

This spider I found in my bathtub. It was also pretty big, but I knew that no one would know unless I had a standard to measure it against. Yes, there was a spider in my bathtub that was longer than the head of my toothbrush (but was subsequently smashed). Also, check out it's huge eyes!

One last spider. Again, I found it in my bathtub, but it was kind of small and darling, about as big as a nickel. Gosh, I should stop this, but I can't help it. I've decided to rename all my oddities compulsions (and I blame that one you, Mom), its not that I choose to be this weird, I'm compelled to be this way.

I spent a lot of time over the summer walking around my part of Logan because I didn't want to pay to go to the gym, and its pretty nice at night. One night I got back to my apartment and found this slug stuck to my shoe. It was way cute, but then it dried up, and I was sad.

So there's a sampling of the everyday things I find entertaining. Hope y'all felt the same way.

----------------
Now playing: Matchbox Twenty - How Far We've Come
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Marf said...

I do feel entertained by the mundane. I enjoyed that little walk through your "compulsions", and sadly, I accept blame. I'm weird and I know it. Use turvat in a sentence today, it was my word verification. I hear it something like this: "I was looking at the scary spiders when a turvat came out of nowhere and bit me!"