Monday, March 2, 2009

On the Importance of Recess (Also, my mom is awesome)

(This was the best picture I could find on a google-image search for recess, I plan on using my recess time to perfect the skill pictured above)

So I read a great article about recess in the in New York Times the other day, and its gotten me thinking. The article says that everyone needs recess. In grade school, getting recess or down time may be as crucial to student's experience as reading, science and math. In a recent study, researches found that students who had more than 15 minutes of recess a day showed better behavior in class that those with littler or no recess. There has also been research done showing periods of physical activity improve academic achievement in junior high students and concentration capabilities in children with ADHD.

How does this apply to me (and you)? Well, they also suggested there that adults would benefit from taking recess during their work time. Turns out there are two types of concentration, directed and involuntary. Directed attention is what allows people to concentrate on work, while involuntary attention takes over when we're distracted. Using our directed attention all the time leaves people feeling fatigued, but taking breaks to be outside and let involuntary attention take over gives the brain time to rest, leaving it better primed for episodes of directed attention (I think it also means that my Auntie Boo is improving the educational experience for everyone in her school by being doodie).

I feel directed attention is a very limited resource in my body, so I'm taking walks more often to let my involuntary attention take over. My mom helped me conduct a miniature recess experiment when she came up to visit me on Friday. I took a break from work/school to go to the cheese store and have lunch, and it was wonderful. I returned to school feeling like maybe I would do work (instead I focused on finishing an episode of "Heroes" (focus is focus, I'm counting it)). It was pretty glorious. I'm also going to take a recess from life next week and let my involuntary attention take over in Washington. It will be amazing, and hopefully I'll return feeling rejuvenated and ready for finishing up this thesis thing.

----------------
Now playing: O.A.R. - Destination
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Marf said...

I am a big fan of recess. I give myself breaks all the time, it's just nice that a study has validated me. I wish I could come up and have recess with you more often. It was a nice break for me too. I felt refreshed and ready for life again when I got home. I do think restocking on cheese helped too though. Anyhoo, good times, and I think you are pretty awesome.

LM said...

Hey, so when do I get recess...it is definitely NOT during recess! I can't imagine that those little terrors that I deal with on a daily basis can actually improve once indoors...but I will continue to do my part to improve humanity. :)